The Higher Education and Science Committee is a state body functioning within the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of the Republic of Armenia.
The scope of activities of the Committee includes the functions of the former Science Committee and the Supreme Certifying Committee of the RA MESCS, as well as the Department of Higher and Postgraduate Professional Education of the RA MESCS, ensuring the implementation of the state policy aimed at the cooperation and integration of the fields of science and higher education.
The objectives of the Committee are as follows:
- participation in strategic planning and policy development in the fields of higher education and science;
- implementation and evaluation the programs in the field of higher education and science, as well as providing support to students;
- regulation of the fields of higher education and science and creation of an adequate legal framework for ensuring their functioning and improving their quality;
- ensuring the proper functioning and progressive development of higher education and science as a crucial factor in the development of the economy and national security, raising country’s competitiveness, educational and cultural development, as well as social progress;
- enabling citizens to exercise their human and civil rights to higher and postgraduate professional education;
- ensuring the compatibility of the degrees of higher and postgraduate professional education in the Republic of Armenia with international ones, as well as recognition of diplomas and diploma supplements issued in the Republic of Armenia in European and other foreign countries;
- promotion of international academic mobility for students;
- promoting and fostering academic freedom and autonomy of higher education institutions;
- ensuring the proper implementation of the procedures for awarding scientific degrees;
- assisting the process of qualification of scientific and academic personnel;
- preserving and developing the scientific and academic potential of the Republic of Armenia, creating an effective system for training of scientific and academic personnel;
- promotion of effective interaction and integration between the fields of science, education, and manufacturing.